THIS DAY IN YOUR LIFE…
POINT #1: Do you promise to do things that will keep the other person happy?
- When you promise what you think someone else wants, instead of what you are capable of delivering, you are setting them up for disappointment.
- You over promise because you are scared that what you CAN deliver isn’t good enough.
POINT #2: Whatever you promise that is what the other person will expect.
- Even if people think what you are promising is unlikely to occur they still have the expectation it will happen.
- This happens because YOU TOLD THEM IT WOULD
POINT #3: This is the classic “Boy who cried wolf” scenario.
- When you often over promise and under deliver, your word ends up worth little.
- You will overshadow any great results you deliver because of the unrealistic expectation you have set up..
- Where do you over promise in your life? With your partner? With your children? In your career? To yourself in your fitness?
- Identify WHY you do this… Here are some examples of common reasons.
- You want people to like you
- You don’t want to disappoint others.
- Your fear of looking like you are incapable of delivering.
- Your fear of being thought of as a failure.